Pascoe Vale FC announces $500,000 grant to build a new synthetic pitch

Pascoe Vale FC has announced it will construct a new synthetic soccer pitch at its Hosken Reserve ground with the assistance of a $500,000 government grant.

Lou Tona, President of Pascoe Vale FC was delighted to share the news, considering it a major victory for the club.

“We are eternally grateful to the Moreland City Council, Lizzie Blandthorn, and the Victorian State Government. We are looking to increase our membership base and provide the best environment for our girls and boys teams,” Tona said.

The grant comes courtesy of a combined contribution from the Moreland City Council and the State Government’s World Game Facilities Fund.

The fund, launched in 2018, was designed to assist local football clubs to upgrade their existing facilities, or develop new infrastructure. To date, it has already contributed more than $10 million across 38 projects in regional and urban Victoria.

The new synthetic pitch will bolster Pascoe Vale FC’s existing training facilities and provide junior girls and boys at the club with the best possible opportunities to develop.

“We will be able to increase accessibility and on field participation for people who want to get involved in the sport that they love. We have been trying to build our football program for some time and this will go a long way,” Tona said.

The project follows Pascoe Vale’s recent $240,000 upgrade of Hosken Reserve’s social area, which included the instalment of a new commercial kitchen and café.

“Over the last year we’ve had a few developments as part of our facilities strategy. I, along with everyone else at the club just want to emphasise our appreciation for the Moreland City Council and the Victorian State Government for the assistance they have provided,” Tona added.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Isabella Mossin awarded Ninja A-League Women Referee of the Year

The youngest recipient since its inception, Mossin will officially receive the award after leading the Ninja A-League Grand Final 2026 on Saturday.

 

A rapid rise

After debuting in 2023, Mossin has quickly proved quality, composure and confidence as a referee in the Ninja A-League.

As a result of the achievement, Mossin will be the appointed referee for this weekend’s Grand Final between Melbourne City FC and Wellington Phoenix.

After beginning in the North West Sydney Football Association, Mossin then honed her craft with the Football NSW Referee Academy, a journey with foundations truly embedded in youth development and grassroots football.

Thus, Mossin is not just am individual success story, but a symbol of what institutional investment and opportunities can do for young women looking for a pathway to the game.

 

Celebrating success

The plaudits, unsurprisngly, are arriving from across Australia’s football landscape, with many emphasising the incredible standards set by Mossin since her debut just three years ago.

“This award is testament to Isabella’s hard work and dedication to refereeing, and a great reflection of the next generation of referees coming through the system in Australia,” said A-Leagues CEO, Steve Rosich.

“At just 25 years of age, she has consistently demonstrated composure, leadership, strong decision-making and the ability to perform under pressure in some of the biggest matches in the competition,” highlighted Football Australia Head of Referees, Jon Moss.

“Having someone refereeing their first Ninja A-league Women’s Grand Final at the age of 25 years should inspire all girls and young women referees (and potential referees) and show them that age is not a barrier to talent being recognised within Football Australia refereeing,” said Chair of Football Australia Referee Committee, David Elleray.

Given Mossin’s reputation and experience already at the top level of women’s football in Australia, there is no doubt that she will rise to the occasion this Saturday.

Female Football Week kicks off across Northern NSW

Female Football Week has officially begun across Northern NSW, with a program of gala days, networking events and awards ceremonies running until Sunday May 17, marking a ten-day celebration that organisers say reflects both the growth of women’s football in the region and the work still required to sustain it.

The national initiative, now a fixture on the football calendar, provides a dedicated period of visibility for female participants across all levels of the game from players, coaches, referees to volunteers, whose contributions have historically received less recognition than their male counterparts.

NNSWF Participation and Women’s Football Officer Serena Carter said the week offered something for everyone connected to women’s football in the region.

“Female Football Week provides a fantastic chance to highlight the dedication and skill of female players, coaches, referees and volunteers across the northern NSW community,” Carter said. “There’s something for everyone to enjoy, from grassroots participants to elite competitors.”

Women’s football in northern NSW spans remote and regional communities where clubs operate on limited resources, alongside more established metropolitan programs with clearer development pathways. Female Football Week creates a moment of shared recognition across that spectrum and acknowledges the role volunteers play, from running the canteen to progressing through the pathway.

Northern NSW Football has recorded some of its strongest participation numbers in women’s and girls’ football in recent seasons, a trend that has placed increasing pressure on clubs and facilities to keep pace. The week’s events offer clubs an opportunity to showcase their commitment to diversity and inclusion at a time when that commitment is being tested by growth.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend